The Last Banana

Uncaring Chimp, your table is ready! I'm R.E.Tard, and I'll be your waiter tonight. Our daily special is the "Pointless Rambling Platter", served with a huge Waste of Time, and a generous dollop of Stupidity, all completely meatless for those who prefer to vegetate. Bon appetite!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseburg, Oregon, United States

I've outlived John Lennon over twenty years now, and I'm still a fucking waste of life. Oh well. Maybe the radiation from Fukushima will make me into an X Man!

Monday, January 31, 2005

The Last Banana

The Last Banana
My rotten kid informs me that blogging is an act of extreme ego. My god, she's right. And yet, for some reason I do not want to examine, I have decided to indulge in this guilty pleasure. Yes, I now join the ranks of the pathetic and deluded. Could my lame ramblings ever qualify as a contribution to anything? It is doubtful. And yet, I WANNA! If nothing else, just to exercise my dimming mind.
I work in a book warehouse, processing books for libraries, and in the course of a day many fine tomes cross my table top. Also a lot of not so fine ones and some that, forgive me, I would like to burn. So I thought as a public service ( like anyone will ever see this!) I could amuse myself with an occasional list of "Books That Should Be Read".
Now please understand, I myself have NOT read these books. However I HAVE read the dust jackets (when the supervisor isn't looking) and you really can pick up a lot of information from that! And beleive me, when you're as bored as I am, you read a lot of dust jackets.
Today's picks are "Never Shake Hands With a War Criminal" by Barry Crimmins, Hardback ( or as we call 'em in the old warehouse, retail, for some reason) $21.95. I had never heard of this guy before, but I don't get out much, and have had no TV reception for a couple of years. Apparently he is a political comedy writer, who has written for Dennis Miller, but we'll forgive him. I want to read this book so much I may buy it, as I can get it wholesale. Perk of the job. I give it four "Furtive Glances When the Boss Ain't Looking" out of five.
Our second and last pick of the day is "The Mummy at the Dining Room Table". I forgot to write down the author. Shit. Anyway, it's $14.95 in Quality, which is how we refer to soft back books that are not paperbacks, 'cause they cost more. This book is a study of some of the more interesting nut cases of some shrink who's name I didn't catch. I may buy this one too, as it may give me some insight into my own demented loved ones, and looks like an entertaining read in any event. I gave this one three "fg's", but only because it didn't have jokes at the end of each chapter like the first one.
Well, that wraps up our show for tonight. Tune in next time for "Don't Burn It Yet, I'm Not Done Reading It!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home